Jan 9, 2008

Guitar Heroes Everywhere I Salute You

So I am about to eat some crow as I write this blog. I should really start at the very beginning. A long time ago when no one really knew what guitar hero was, or I didn't at least, one of my friends had this roomate who was, let's just say it...really weird. I mean the kid acted weird, he looked weird, he was just awkward typical nerdy kid. Well more than just typical nerdy... but anyways, I digress. Anyhow when a bunch of us would come over to watch 24 on Mondays, this kid would sometimes be in the front room playing guitar hero. And we would rip on him mercilessly (not to his face of course), but I mean... along the lines of "what is up with that kid and his little toy guitar and why is he always acting like he's rocking out?" "He's so weird." Sometimes it was all I could do to suppress the laughter upon entrance to the apartment. On that note, we just bought guitar hero. And I have to say it is seriously fun. Basically I have been playing for at least 2 to 3 hours a day. I'm without a doubt addicted to rocking out on my little toy guitar. And I realize those odd jerks of the guitar that I thought so funny when that nerdy kid was playing are actually necessary to get bonus points. And after you do those moves, the crowd roars for you and it actually feels pretty good. It almost makes you feel like...dare I say it...a hero?! The beauty of it is that it never gets old, because you can always up the difficulty level if you find yourself bored. I play on medium now and I have to say my raw talent for this game is awe inspiring. I even beat John. I credit this talent to years of playing the cello and moving my fingers and wrist in odd ways. So as John shakes out his hand, wrist and fingers after each song he plays, I feel no pain. I can play for hours and the satisfaction I get after finishing a song and achieving the high score is almost euphoric. But even more than the score is the pure joy in hitting all the notes and feeling like you're actually playing a real song on your guitar. John is playing as I'm writing this and it's safe to say I'm still better. I know this because my records are in tact. That's basically why I'm down here. To ensure they stay that way. Usually I suck at all video games so I feel no guilt in my triumph over him at this one. Normally I won't even allow myself to play them at all, because they are a waste of time. The only way I can justify this one is that I'm supposed to be laying down as much as possible (because I'm 8 and half months prego..and ya) doctors orders. And I can only study for the RD exam for so long before I go crazy. So this is a nice little release. And the days have never gone by faster. That in and of itself is worth it's weight in gold, since the last month of your pregnancy usually drags pretty hard core. Or so I've noticed. Anyways...I'd just like to say that I am now that nerdy kid, aside from the weird looking face and general lack of social skills. So keep the power ballads coming. And guitar heroes everywhere...I salute you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.